WCB celebrates the diversity of New York's people and communities and views the differences among us as strengths and assets. The goal is to ensure that WCB operates as an organization that increases and supports diversity in the workplace.
WCB is committed to achieving the statewide goal of increasing opportunities for New York State Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (M/WBE), and encourages participation of M/WBE in WCB procurement projects.
We encourage any firm that believes it meets the state requirements for certification to visit the NYS Department of Economic Development for more information about the program and how to apply for certification. WCB has established a minimum goal of 30% M/WBE participation for its contracts. For more information email us at WCBContracts@wcb.ny.gov
Article 15-A of the New York State Executive Law was signed into law on July 19, 1988. Under this statute, State Agencies are charged with establishing employment and business participation goals for minorities and women. Consistent with Article 15-A of the New York State Executive Law, §§310-318 and State Finance Law § 163(6), WCB has a longstanding and continuing commitment to the participation of M/WBEs in the agency's contracting and procurement activities as providers of goods and services. These laws were enacted to promote equality of economic opportunity for minority group members and women and to eradicate barriers that have unreasonably impeded access by M/WBEs to State contracting activities.
WCB's primary objectives for the M/WBE Program are:
- to promote employment and "fair share" business opportunities on WCB contracts for minorities and women.
- to provide resources and opportunities for M/WBEs to improve their business position in conducting business with New York State.
- to increase the development and utilization of qualified business firms owned by minority group members and women through such means as contracting, subcontracting, and commodity procurement.
- to advance public policy that enhances and facilitates greater transparency, accountability and support of diversity, while promoting the highest standard of professional and ethical conduct.
- to create awareness of WCB's M/WBE Program and share Agency best practices.
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has launched the first statewide surety bond assistance program for Minority -and Women -Owned Businesses. The program will provide financial assistance to help MWBEs secure surety bonds and state contract. To learn more about the NYS Surety Bond Assistance Program, please visit http://esd.ny.gov/BusinessPrograms/BondingAssistance.html