A work-related accident or illness can be challenging, but there are resources to assist you. The Board’s vocational rehabilitation counselors (VRCs) can help with you search and apply for jobs. They can also provide support if you lose your job, or if you’re dealing with stress or other employment challenges. If you experience these difficulties, contact the Board at (877) 632-4996 and ask for Vocational Rehabilitation assistance.
Vocational Rehabilitation offers special services designed to:
- Help you return to work when possible; or
- Help you live and work at your maximum ability if you have a disability.
If you have not returned to work, you should be attached to the labor market (involved in a job search) if you:
- Anticipate classification as a partial disability [Still think you can work]; or
- Do not expect you will return to your previous job soon
A Board VRC can assist you with attaching to the labor market by connecting you with one of the following:
- Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR)
- ACCES-VR assists individuals with disabilities to achieve and maintain employment and to support independent living through training, education, rehabilitation, and career development.
- NYS Department of Labor (DOL) Career One-Stop Centers
- Provides comprehensive employment and training services, including resource centers, job search workshops, resume distribution program and networking opportunities.
- Your own independent job search
- See “Labor Market Attachment” page for information on what form to use to demonstrate your effort to the Board.
The Board’s VRCs may help you in several ways:
- Coordinate job/vocational training: Provide referrals that assist you with job training, education and career development.
- Offer referrals to other programs: Recommend eligibility to vocational rehabilitation agencies such as the Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES-VR) under the NYS Education Dept.
Provide general assistance with returning to work: Help you return to your current job, show your attachment to the labor market, and/or receive assistance through a supportive job agency.
Services to help you return to work may include:
- Outreach and engagement: Contacting you to offer counseling support and relay information about resources.
- Understanding job duties and activities: Working with you to identify physical activities required to perform the duties of your job, with or without accommodations in place.
- Evaluating capabilities and restrictions: Reviewing your health care provider’s assessment of what you can and cannot do, and then using this assessment, along with your medical records, to help determine which job functions may be restricted.
- Determining reasonable accommodations: Researching options for reasonable accommodations and working with you and your employer to confirm you can return to work with the appropriate accommodations in place. See below for more information about the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Monitoring your progress: VRCs may stay in contact with you to check in on your progress and offer support, as needed.
In accordance with NYS Language Access Policy, language interpretation and/or translation services will be provided for any injured workers with Limited English Proficiency (LEP). If language or other difficulties interfere with your ability to fully understand your rights, please call (877) 632-4996 for free language assistance services.
Llámenos al (877) 632-4996 si necesita ayuda gratis en su idioma.
Чтобы получить бесплатные переводческие услуги, позвоните, пожалуйста, по следующему номеру: (877) 632-4996.
Pod numerem telefonu (877) 632-4996 otrzymają Państwo bezpłatną pomoc językową.
전화 (877) 632-4996 로 무료 언어 지원 서비스를 요청하십시오.
Chiamare il (877) 632-4996 per assistenza linguistica gratuita.
Tanpri rele nou nan (877) 632-4996 pou jwenn sèvis èd gratis nan lang.
請給我們打電話,號碼： (877) 632-4996，要求免費的語言協助服務。
অনুগ্রহ করে বিনামূল্যে ভাষা সহায়তা পরিষেবার জন্য আমাদের ফোন নম্বরে (877) 632-4996 ফোন করুন।
If you have questions on vocational rehabilitation and/or Return to Work assistance, please contact (877) 632-4996.
When requesting vocational rehabilitation assistance regarding a workers’ compensation claim, please have the following information available:
- Your name
- Your WCB case number
- Your telephone number, including area code
- Brief description of the problem, including any correspondence received.
General questions on vocational rehabilitation services can also be directed to: VocRehab@wcb.ny.gov