The World Trade Center (WTC) Volunteer Fund was established in 2002 to provide benefits to volunteers who incurred lost wages and health related problems due to their volunteer work in the WTC rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts.
Normally, unpaid volunteers are ineligible for workers' compensation benefits, however, the NY Workers' Compensation Law was amended to provide a unique exception for WTC volunteers.
The WTC Volunteer Fund is administered by the Workers' Compensation Board and is now funded by New York State.
You are eligible if you were a volunteer who participated in WTC rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts between September 11, 2001, and September 11, 2002, and incurred lost wages and health-related problems due to your volunteer work at the following locations: Ground Zero; Fresh Kills Landfill; the barges; the piers; and the morgues.
The WTC Volunteer Fund provides payments to cover the cost of lost wages and health care expenses if you are disabled as a result of your volunteer efforts.
If you are a volunteer who is collecting benefits under the WTC Volunteer Fund, you are also expected to enroll in the World Trade Center Health Program and to apply to the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF), which were established under the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.
File a Claim
- Download and complete World Trade Center Volunteer's Claim for Compensation (Form WTCVol-3). translated versions available
- Mail, fax or email form with required documentation to the Board
You must also provide the following documentation to complete your claim:
- Proof of volunteer status (letter of commendation/confirmation from the agency that directed your September 11th volunteer activities at Ground Zero or Fresh Kills Landfill; pictures, witness letters, etc).;
- Medical evidence of a causally related injury or illness from volunteering at a designated site;
- Completed WTC-12 form (Registration of participation in WTC rescue, recovery, or clean-up operations)
- Letter of denial from the World Trade Center Health Program. The Board now requires that volunteer workers file a claim with the World Trade Center Health Program before filing a claim with the Board; the denial of benefits letter from the World Trade Center Health Program should be submitted along with the World Trade Center Volunteer's Claim for Compensation (Form WTCVol-3).
- Documentation or denial of benefits from the Victim Compensation Fund.
- Completed WTC HIPAA Authorization (Form-WTC-HIPAA)
- Completed WTC VCF Authorization (Form-WTC-VCF-AUTH)
If you have not previously registered with the WTC Registry, you will need to file form WTC-12 before September 11, 2022, to qualify for the WTC Volunteer Fund.
The Workers' Compensation Board determines benefit eligibility.
Established WTC volunteers are expected to seek treatment with physicians participating in the World Trade Center Health Program regardless of whether or not they are authorized by the Board. WTC volunteers treated by providers not affiliated with the World Trade Center Health Program should encourage their provider to become registered.
WTC volunteers with established claims will receive a pharmacy benefit card from AWPRx, a pharmacy benefits manager with a network of pharmacies. Just show the pharmacist your AWPRx card and the pharmacy will confirm your benefits and fill your prescription without any copay.
Contact the Board
Customer Service Toll-Free Number: (877) 632-4996
Monday through Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Language Assistance Services
Please call us at (877) 632-4996 for free language assistance services.
Llámenos al (877) 632-4996 si necesita ayuda gratis en su idioma.
Чтобы получить бесплатные переводческие услуги, позвоните, пожалуйста, по следующему номеру: (877) 632-4996.
Pod numerem telefonu (877) 632-4996 otrzymają Państwo bezpłatną pomoc językową.
전화 (877) 632-4996 로 무료 언어 지원 서비스를 요청하십시오.
Chiamare il (877) 632-4996 per assistenza linguistica gratuita.
Tanpri rele nou nan (877) 632-4996 pou jwenn sèvis èd gratis nan lang.
請給我們打電話,號碼： (877) 632-4996，要求免費的語言協助服務。
অনুগ্রহ করে বিনামূল্যে ভাষা সহায়তা পরিষেবার জন্য আমাদের ফোন নম্বরে (877) 632-4996 ফোন করুন।